Fulton's fab finish earns City victory

Fulton's fab finish earns City victory


By Stephen Bark

A late moment of magic from Maddie Fulton sealed the win as Glasgow City saw off Hibernian at Broadwood Stadium to move three points clear at the top of SWPL1.

Sub Kirsty Morrison had given Hibs hope when she made it 2-1 following goals from debutant Nicole Robertson and Jenna Clark but it was Fulton who scored what turned out to be the winner despite a stoppage time goal from Siobhan Hunter.

City started well and could have been in front in 90 seconds when Sharon Wojcik’s shot from the edge of the box hit Robertson who was in space in the box but unable to turn the ball home.

Robertson made a nuisance of herself in the first half and could have scored again less the 10 minutes later when a cross from deep was lofted in, but she could only head over.

Opportunities also came for Leanne Crichton and Hayley Lauder from the edge of the box, but neither could find the target.

Robertson’s best chance in the opening 45 however came when she was played through one-on-one with Sophie Allison but, despite just beating the Hibs keeper to the ball, she couldn’t get enough on it and the covering defenders were able to clear before it trickled over the line.

Hunter had the away side’s best chance of the first half when she found herself on the end of a Rachel Boyle corner, but she could direct her header on target.

With five minutes to the break, Robertson was again causing the Hibs defence trouble but when Lauder’s low cross from the left was deflected, City’s debutant could not turn the ball goal-wards.

City started the second half well and Lauren Wade was almost able to take advantage of slack play at the back from Hibs but her shot drifted wide.

After coming close so often in the first half, Robertson was finally able to find the net just before the hour mark when Rachel McLauchlan’s cross found the City striker free six yards out to head home the opening goal.

She nearly had two in a minute as Wade’s cross from the right was just the right height, but Allison was alert in the Hibs goal.

Hibs twice had the chance to level. First, when Boyle played a lovely pass through for Amy Gallacher but her effort was well saved by Lee Alexander and second when sub Colette Cavanagh hit the cross bar from the edge of the box.

However, City made them pay and a Fulton corner on 73 minutes found Clark in the middle of the box and she looped the header over Allison to double the lead.

Hibs weren’t done though and within seconds of going two behind, Morrison – who was just moments on the field – coolly slotted the ball beyond Alexander.

The away side were now hunting for an equaliser but with five minutes to go Fulton picked up the ball on the edge of the box and, as the defence stood off, she produced a sublime strike into the top corner to end any hopes Hibs had to get a point.

In stoppage, Cavanagh was fouled on the edge of the box. There was no chance for Alexander as up stepped Hunter to hit one low into the bottom right corner but there wasn’t enough time left to launch one last attack as City saw out the win.

Glasgow City: Alexander, McLauchlan, Wyne, Lauder (Foley 68), Love, Crichton, Clark, Wojcik (Kerr 46), Colvill (Davidson 76), Wade (Fulton 68), Robertson (Shine 68). Subs not used: Clachers, Toland.

Hibernian: Allison, Leishman, Muir, Hunter, Potts, Eddie (Morrison 73), Boyce (Cavanagh 62), Gallacher, Notley, Murray (Adams 67), Boyle. Subs not used: Mutch, McCafferty, McEachran, Handley.

Back to Latest News