City exit Scottish Cup on penalties

City exit Scottish Cup on penalties

Glasgow City 1
Davidson 7

Hibernian 1 
Eddie 34
Hibernian win 5-4 on penalties

Glasgow City exit the Scottish Cup in the fourth round as penalties send the visiting Hibernian into the quarter finals.

Leanne Ross made one change to the side that won over Celtic last weekend with Charlotte Wardlaw coming into the side.

The first goal of the game comes in the opening minutes as City win the ball in midfield, which allows Lauren Davidson to drive forward and slot it bottom right corner from outside of the box for her third goal in the Scottish Cup.

The game dissolved into a scrappy affair with tackles flying in as both teams looked to hit each other on the counter.

Hibernian equalise the game in the 34th minute from a free kick delivered wide left from captain Ellis Notley finding Leah Eddie who nods it home to tie the game.

The best chance comes late in the half with Kinga Kozak playing the ball to Emily Whealan on the edge which is sent wide by Hibs keeper Nina Wilson for a City corner.

The sides went into the break on level terms as neither team are able to carve out a chance as Michael McCart blows for half time.

Second half continues similar to the first with both sides carving out chances, neither managing to hit the target.

First card of the cup tie is handed to Chloe Warrington as she is penalised for halting the Hibs attack dragging the attacker down on the right side.

Wilma Forsblom makes her debut for Glasgow City, the American comes on 15 minutes into the second half, replacing Polish international Kinga Kozak.

It was Davidson looking the most likely to regain the lead for City as she managed to make some space for herself but sending the resulting shot by Wilson’s left-hand post. Substitute Tegan Bowie has a shot deflected wide for Hibs, as a result of some poor play out from the back from City defence.

A chance late in the half as Emily Whealan swings a ball back post finding the unmarked substitute Lisa Forrest who sends her first-time effort over the crossbar.

After a late chance for Hibernian resulting in keeper Lee Gibson rushing out to defend the oncoming Hibs attacker, the game is sent into extra-time with 90 minutes not being enough to separate the two sides.

City began the first period of extra time on the front foot, not being able to convert any of the chances.

There was a lengthy injury break as Chloe Warrington received a nasty blow to the back from Hibs striker Jorian Baucom resulting her making her way into the book.

Both sides able to break beyond the backlines at the start of the second half of extra-time resulting in Fulton shooting from distances straight into the gloves of Wilson. The game was to be decided by penalties as neither team was able take it in the 30 minutes.

It would be Hibernian who take it in the penalty shootout as Mairead Fulton would have her penalty saved and Joanne Love would send her effort deflected over the crossbar to allow Joelle Murray to convert the winning penalty and send the Leith side into the quarter finals.

Match Information

Glasgow City – Gibson (C), Warrington (Love 105), Fulton, Whealan, Davidson, Kozak (Forsblom 61), Moore, Weir, Wardlaw (Lauder 45), Oscarsson (Forrest 83), Brown. Unused Subs: Clachers, Walsh, Gambone, Sullivan, Giammona

Hibernian – Wilson, Leishman (Adams 106), Christie (Morrison 81), Baucom, Eddie, Ferguson (Bowie 69), McAlonie, McGregor, Notley (C), Doran-Barr (Murray 106), Lawson. Unused Subs: Fraine, Hunter, Tweedie, Powell, Nunn

Back to Latest News