City miss out on cup final place

City miss out on cup final place

By Stephen Bark

Glasgow City narrowly missed out on a place in the Scottish Cup final as they went down 1-0 to Celtic at Hampden Park.

A first half goal from Natasha Flint was enough to seal the win for Celtic who ended the match with 10 after Natalie Ross was sent off for a second yellow card.

City made one change from the side which lost to Rangers in midweek with Kinga Kozak replacing Linda Motlhalo.

The opening exchanges saw three yellow cards dished out within the first seven minutes but it wasn’t a bad tempered affair.

Celtic’s first chance of the game saw them take an early advantage as Caitlin Hayes’ long ball put Flint through on goal and she fired home past Lee Gibson.

City tried to hit back instantly as Anna Oscarsson rounded her marker and found Lauren Davidson in the box but effort was wide of target.

Excellent work from Priscila Chinchilla saw Davidson played through but she skewed her shot wide under pressure.

A foul on Jenna Clark then gave Davidson an opportunity right on the edge of the box but both her initial effort and follow up were blocked.

Celtic did have the ball in the net again before half time but Amy Gallacher was offside.

City’s best chance of the half came just before the break when Davidson drove forwards and produced a quality save from Pamela Tajonar from just outside the box.

In the second half, an early Celtic chance saw Gibson save well from Jacynta but most of the play would be in the opposite direction.

Half time sub Mairead Fulton picked up the ball from Amy Muir in a promising position but her effort from 30 yards went narrowly wide.

Some trickery from Chinchilla saw her break to the byline and cut the ball back for Hayley Lauder but her snapshot from six yards out went wide.

For seven minutes, Celtic were forced to play with 10 players after Kit Loferski had come on to replace Gallacher. However, she hadn’t removed an earring and was instructed off until it was taken out. Despite their best efforts, the earring couldn’t be removed and Shen Menglu was brought on in her place.

In the meantime, City won a freekick 20 yards out but Lauder’s effort was just over the ball.

Muir then again tried to turn provider again as she set up Chinchilla but her curling effort was saved by Tajonar.

With time running out, substitutes Sophia Martin and Lisa Forrest combined to give City their best chance of the match as the latter was played through one-on-one but Tajonar made herself big and saved the shot.

In the last minute, Ross was sent off after receiving a second yellow card for a foul on Chinchilla in the D. Up stepped Davidson but her effort was tipped round the post as Celtic held on.

Match information

Team lines

Glasgow City: Gibson, Muir, Lauder (Motlhalo 81), Walsh, Prades (Fulton 46), Whelan (Martin 63), Clark, Davidson, Kozak, Chinchilla, Oscarsson (Forrest 89). Subs not used: Clachers, Warington, Porter, Grant, Foley.

Celtic: Tajonar, O’Riordan (Craig 46), Robertson (Otto 86), Ross, Gallacher (Loferski 70 (Shen Menglu 77)), Jacynta (Fergusson 86), Clark, Kerner, Hayes, Flint. Subs not used: Logan, Shen Mengyu, Bowie, Goldie, McAneny.


Celtic: Flint 20’

Yellow cards

Glasgow City: Prades 3’, Oscarsson 5’, Martin 66’

Celtic: Ross 7’, 90+3’, Gallacher 68’, Flint 84’

Red cards

Celtic: Ross 90+3’

Referee: Alastair Grieve

Stadium: Hampden Park

Back to Latest News