Last-minute Clark earns City dramatic win

Last-minute Clark earns City dramatic win

By Stephen Bark

It was only match two of the season but Glasgow City tasted one of their most dramatic wins as Jenna Clark popped up with a 97th-minute winner at K Park.

Hosts Motherwell were well organised and frustrated their visitors but they couldn’t hold on to claim the scalp they so desperately craved.

City made one change from the team that defeated Spartans with Megan Foley replacing Claire Walsh in the back line.

The opening exchanges saw little goalmouth action. Both Katie Rice and Amy Anderson had efforts from distance that didn’t trouble Lee Gibson in the City goal while Maddie Fulton’s cross-cum-shot was headed wide of the far post.

After the mandatory water break, the game started to open up. Lauren Davidson couldn’t quite get a hold of her shot from the D before London Pollard cut in from the right and had her effort saved by Gibson at the other end.

Clare Shine was almost able to set up Kinga Kozak for the opener but the Polish midfielder’s header was deflected wide. Moments later, Rice then had another effort that was blazed over the bar.

With half time approaching, things started to click for City. Abbi Grant’s effort from just outside the box looked to be blocked by a hand but the referee was unmoved. Play didn’t stop and Lauder set up Shine whose effort was blocked and the teams went in goalless at half time.

The first opportunity of the second half fell the way of the away side as Shine set up Davidson but she screwed her effort wide of the goal. Kozak then unselfishly set up Shine but her effort was saved by Emily Mutch.

Motherwell’s first opportunity after the break fell the way of a former City starlet as Lucy Ronald put the ball over from distance. They almost had another when Pollard beat Gibson to a through ball but her cut back was cleared by the City defence.

On the hour mark, the best chance of the game so far fell the way of City sub Emily Whelan who was making her debut for the club – the 200th player to do so. Lauder flashed the ball across goal and Whelan, at the near post, got to it first but couldn’t keep the ball down from close range.

City were starting to test Mutch more as the game went on. Lauder’s cross found Shine at the near post, she couldn’t get the shot but recovered well to set up Kozak whose effort was saved.

With time running out, Lauder’s cross found sub Desirée Monsiváis but her header was cleared behind for a corner which saw the ball break to Lauder on the edge of the area but her effort was blocked.

Good work from Monsiváis then gave Lauder the chance to cut in from the left but her effort was well held by Mutch. It was then Monsiváis’ turn to have a go as she was set up by Fulton on the edge of the area but her curling effort just drifted wide of the post.

Time was almost up and Whelan won a free-kick 10 yards inside her own half. Everyone was sent forward and City managed to win a corner from Gibson’s long ball forward. Lauder stepped up and played the perfect ball across for Clark who headed home from six yards. The only thing left for ref Steven MacDonald to do was blow his whistle for full time.

Match Information

Team lines

Glasgow City: Gibson, Muir, Lauder, Fulton, Shine, Clark, Davidson (Monsiváis 68), Grant (Whelan 54), Kozak, Moore, Foley (Greening 54). Subs not used: Clachers, Walsh, Bora, Gibb, Perea, Noble.

Motherwell: Mutch, Doran-Barr (McDonald-Ngua 75), Addie, Watson, Inglis, A. Anderson, Rice (Lowton 75), Ronald, Pollard (Hay 65), Gardner (B. Anderson 82), Boyce. Subs not used: Andrews, Halpin.


Glasgow City: Clark 90+7

Yellow Cards

Motherwell: Doran-Barr 50, B. Anderson 90+6

Referee: Steven MacDonald

Stadium: K Park

Back to Latest News